Sunday 13 July 2008

Roof woes and TURBO power

Having read an article in PPC magazine, I have decided to pinch one young chaps idea and "rear end turbo" the Triumph.

The basic idea with a rear end turbo is to fit it at the back of the car where the silencer would be, thus will run cooler and as such will require less boost to get optimum power. For full details stay posted, the turbo has arrived however!

Now onto the roof, Crunchie is a nice chocolat bar, it also discribes the condition of the metal under the uniquely 70's vynil roof. Having decided to repair the sunroof (previously covered over after the handle was broken by one of the PO's) I set about dismantaling it, whilst I was doing it I thought, hmmm I wonder what the paint is like under there, perhaps I can polish it up?

NO is the answer to that, a big fat rust encrusted holey no. So at the moment there will be some temporary repairs to fix the damage caused by water retention (not using clingfilm and mineral clay I must add) around the roof edges and gutters. The gutters have escaped 85% intact with about 1 1/2 ft total disintegrating.

One good thing about this is I have learned how to remove the stainless trim along the gutters without damaging it. Using a fairly new pair of pliers wrap masking tape around one half of the head (this will sit over the top of the guttering) and using the unwraped side hook it under the guttering trim and gently lever it upwards. It will release, its just a matter of carefully working along the trim, supporting it as you go, I also recommend having an assistant to hand if need be. The corners can be tricky so I suggest you start at either end and leave the corner till last, it then just pops off, easy!

Pics to follow.

No comments: